Friday, April 13, 2012

This Spring, Discover Your New Favorite Fruits and Vegetables!



As a novice gardener, I know that once the danger of frost clears, fruits and vegetables once again get their chance to shine. Luckily, spring starts sooner when you live in Phoenix and the local markets begin selling their new crops of asparagus, salad greens, herbs, and my favorite – berries! Their new and frequent shipments of spring fruits and vegetables leads to a drop in prices which means you can really stock up and increase your chances of unknowingly become a healthier vegetarian (temporarily) - and love every minute of it. Also, besides being cheaper and obviously healthful, they taste great because they are grown in their prime season. A simple yet divine way to serve asparagus is to trim the bottom inch off and lightly coat them in olive oil. Spread them out on a cookie sheet, season it with minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste, roast them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Then squeeze lemon juice over them before serving. This recipe is the perfect wing man side to help you make new friends out of tasteful strangers.

I realize it’s not only the that are supermarkets arranging to add vibrant color and nutrition to their bins, but trendy eateries everywhere prepare bright spring menus with fresh, new flavors. Restaurants will put specials on their menus featuring new fruits and vegetables of the season. But they are always too short-lived, so order up when you get the chance.

With resolution season only a few months past, your deprived taste buds will thank you for reintroducing a garden variety of flavorful nourishment after a few months of powdery weight loss shakes. No better time to indulge in Mother Nature’s treats than the springtime.

For further reference and ideas, check this out.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post! Asparagus is by far my favorite side item! I cannot resist! I am new to the area and I'd love to find a great local food market to pick up some fresh veggies! This asparagus recipe is fantastic by the way! This is how I always cook it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with this. We need to indulge in more seasonal vegetables, especially during the springtime. Asparagus is an amazing vibrant green veggie! The recipe given in this blog sounds fantastic!!! The good thing about asparagus is that you can incorporate it into many different recipes, like pastas or even as a "wing man" side. Another good recipe for asparagus is to spread the asparagus out on a cookie sheet, drizzle butter over asparagus, add salt and pepper, top with goat cheese and bread crumbs and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. This is so good, I have even made this for kids and they have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds so delicious, it literally made my mouth water. I do not think that I have ever tried asparagus or if I did I probably did not realize what I was eating. I have been learning to incorporate various vegetables in my diet that are different than my typical choices. I definitely plan on adding this to my meals and teaching my family as well. I do not recall my mother ever cooking a dish with asparagus, so this will be my chance to show her something different.

    ReplyDelete