Saturday, April 7, 2012

Ever Wonder What Might Be Affecting Your Mood?


Turns out the foods you eat play an important role on how you feel. Researchers have determined that important nutrients found within the foods you consume contribute to your mood. Nutrients such as sugar, salt, and fat that are commonly found within many of the diets of Americans that live fast paced lifestyles are shown to have negative side effects of increased risk of depression and diet related diseases. Eating large quantities of fast foods and processed foods over a long period of time in combination with the feeling of depression could be a sign that your diet is a contributing factor. So how do you accomplish changes in your mood through diet modification?

By switching processed foods, high fat foods, fried foods, and sugary foods with increasing amounts of vegetables, fruits, fish, and whole grains. Research has shown from a 2010 study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry that a diet that involved these changes resulted in lower chances for major depression. Through the help of this dietary adjustment, the levels of stress on your body will recede. Additionally, changing your diet can significantly reduce increased risks of heart disease, which has been associated with depression. 

Leading nutrition and psychology experts attribute foods such as salmon, lentils, skim milk, blackberries, flaxseeds, edamame, spinach, oatmeal, and chickpeas to be great foods in boosting your mood while at the same time reducing depression. Making sure your body and brain are receiving the right nutrients from your diet are key in reducing depression and improving your mood. As stress levels increase and daily activities get in the way of maintaining a healthy diet, it becomes more important to plan ahead and prepare meals in advance. Furthermore, plan days to go shopping for healthy food instead of heading to the nearest fast food joint. This helps give you an incentive to prepare healthy meals at home. Working you way up from small and simple changes can be a significant step in the right direction to making you a happier and healthier person.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with this 100%. I decided for lent that I would give up all meats and fast foods. I did not realize that before I did this, I thought I felt fine. But once I shopped, I had this new found energy and happiness. I was not as sad and depressed as I was before quitting fast food and junk foods. My doctor had also told me that it helped reduce my risk for diabetes since it runs in the family.

    -Courtney Vittoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this approach to eating is absolutely great. As a woman that has grown up around dancers, I was taught to eat in a way that would make my body look appealing. I was never taught to think of food as fuel for my body. I learned this concept from Nancy Clark a famous Dietitian in the field of sports nutrition. When she explained food as fuel everything started falling into place for me. While this look at food was designed for its relation to physical activity, I think that it can apply to mood boosting as well. Not only are we fueling our bodies to be strong but we are also fueling our brains, which helps our frame of mind. I believe that eating correctly is the key to living a life filed with health, thank you for all of your tips.

    --Amy Hergenroether

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with this and just learned recently how much food has affected my mood and feeling. I have cut out fast food and heavily processed food. The other day I was in a time crunch and did not have any snacks and grabbed some fast food. Afterwards, I felt really bloated and uncomfortable. I did not realize how much food affected my feeling, but it completely makes sense. I am now trying really hard to eat fresh food and cook at home so that I continue to feel better! Great post!

    --Carly Fancher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog post. I think it highlights an issue that most people aren't aware of. I don't think that many people realize how much food really affects your mood. I think that since most Americans in today's society consume fast food and not the most nutritious foods is why many people are cranky and feel so tired all of the time. I think that grocery stores and even big corporations need to promote foods that will help the consumers feel better rather than the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the concept of this article that people don’t know that food affects your mood. I have been incorporating more fruits and vegetables in my diet. I also experienced fast food during my road trips and it made me feel tired and full. After I recovered from it, I felt the sadness and guilt for eating fast food. Ever since then I tried to bring a lot of healthy snacks and make better choices on road trips. I am always stocked with healthy snacks and foods in my home for the whole family. I want everyone to feel good about themselves and their life. This was an insightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very weird that those types of food (sugar, fat, and salt) is what makes you depressed and those are the foods that you crave so much when you are depressed. I enjoyed reading your blog. It was very interesting, because it was something I think as Americans can all relate too. I agree with your blog, because when I started working out. I gave up on junk food and fast food and I felt amazing and my attitude started changing. Thank you for this valuable information.

    ReplyDelete