Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chia Seeds: My New Obsession

You probably remember that little jingle in the Chia pet infomercials back in the day ....



But did you know these little seedlings actually pack a big nutritional punch ?

Chia seeds, derived from the plant salvia hispanica, were actually a very important dietary staple in pre-Columbian times. They are quite rich in omega-3 fatty acids and contain more fiber than flax seeds. Just two tablespoons of Chia seeds contain 7 grams of fiber and essential vitamins and minerals. That right there provides 25% of your daily value. Another advantage these little seedlings have over flax seeds is a longer shelf life and they don't have to be ground to a fine powder in order to reap the nutritional benefits. The antioxidant content of these tiny little guys keep them from spoiling.

The fun part of Chia seeds is the texture and the nutty flavor; just mix one tablespoon to 1-2 cups of water to form a thick gel for a quick, nutritious drink.  Enjoy tapioca pudding ? Add Chia seeds to vanilla yogurt or chocolate Greek yogurt for a delectable treat. Here are some other foods you can add Chia seeds to:

- Smoothies
- Oatmeal
- Fruit
- Baked Goods (Chia seeds are a great binding agent and a good substitution for eggs)
- Soymilk or almond milk
- Iced coffee, tea and chai lattes
- cereal

You can find neat recipes here and Dr. Andrew Weil's take on this seed of goodness.

Chia seeds are available at major health goods stores but I found excellent deals at Sprouts Farmer's Markets and Whole Foods (both in the bulk section) and Lee Lee's Asian Market. 

Who would have thought those Chia pets contained such a nutritious food ?





6 comments:

  1. I liked the reference to most of our childhoods with the Chia pets! Mr. T Chia pet is hysterical. I also appreciated the comparison to flax seeds which are great with iron and calcium as well as omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. The comparison helps to give a better idea of what those little Chia seeds have to offer! I love the versatility of seeds in general- egg replacement is a great trick for those who are vegan (or maybe those who haven’t been shopping in a while), and I have used that trick with great results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog post! I had the "cha-cha-chia" tune playing in my head the entire time I was reading. Putting my childhood nostalgia aside, I would have never guessed how beneficial these chia seeds are for the body, let alone that they could be consumed. I liked how you incorporated different ways in which to consume them by adding them to different foods. I feel like this is going to become a huge health frenzy soon because of the amount of fiber these little seeds are packed with and their many other benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting article. Growing up with the whole chia craze, it seems really crazy to see these little chia seeds have so much nutritional value, without being so well known as a nutritional item. Your article does a good job of providing convincing benefits of chia seeds, in comparison to the more popular flax seed. Weighing this information has made me consider looking into chia seeds more as a health benefit than just a decorative item. I like how you also add recipes into the article to show readers how easy it is to combine chia seeds into many different meals. I’m going to give these a try the next time I’m out shopping. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article was very interesting. I have seen the chia seeds drinks at Sprouts but that was really all I'd heard about them. They sounds very versatile which is awesome and they pack a ton of nutritional value. Finding healthy substitutes or ingredients to add to your meals can be a fun and tasty way to change up your diet. I like that you told readers where they can get chia seeds. That can often be a deterrent for people who want to try something new, they don't know where to get it. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article was insightful and very interesting. I like all the nutritional facts especially about fiber and omega-3 fatty acids because I am trying to increase these nutrients in my diet. I believe that the easy tips on how to incorporate the chia seeds in your daily diet are very helpful. It makes me want to go to the store to buy it and try it! I like the helpful links, such as a recipe and the science behind the nutritious food.

    ReplyDelete