Monday, January 23, 2012

College Workouts



Every college student always wants to look their best right? 

Women in particular will look at themselves different then men do. Working out at the gym, and eating healthy sounds so easy to do but when you’re a college student and you are trying to balance college course work and your job to help pay for school there is not always much time for you to get a workout in. Not only are college student leading a busy life, they usually do not have extra money sitting around for them to go and join a gym. But there are ways to be able to get some exercise in.

When walking to class, try and take the long way around or walk at a faster pace around campus. Another idea is when you need read for a class, you can go to your college’s gym/recreational center and walk on the treadmill for about 30-45 minutes while you are reading your chapter. It is an easy way to “kill two birds with one stone”.  If you have to take an elective one semester, you can look in to taking a class that requires you to be up and moving around such as a dance class, physical education class or yoga class. These classes will give you chances to work out and get your heart rate up while learning and gaining knowledge. With the involvement is required in these classes, it makes you get up and move and you will also have to do your homework and practice for that class as well.

Being able to get out and exercise will help increase your metabolism and be a good way to stay healthy and active even on a busy schedule.  




Stay fit and eat healthy! 
Courtney Vittoria

3 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    Awesome post! I bet everyone in our class, everyone on any campus can relate to this dilemma! I loved the article you posted from Livestrong.com, especially the part about the dorm room workouts. I recently moved to downtown Phoenix and although I don’t have as much time to spend in the gym as I like, I found I’ve gotten better workouts (with limited time) than ever before. Now I run about 2.5 miles, but I run up every parking garage or set of stairs that I see. When I get to the top of the ramp, I do lunges, push-ups, crunches, and dips. I also run with 2lb hand weights.
    It IS possible to work out without a gym or in confined spaces—thanks for sharing these great tips!

    Courtney Enos
    @ZealouslyCourt

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post I realize that the idea of exercise is distorted among Americans. We have 'such a busy lifestyle' that we 'can't' fit it exercise. Well, you just said it. We can do simple physical activity that gets our heart working just a little bit harder, and all these bits of physical effort add up! Walking into a gym and paying a monthly membership doesn't make you any healthier than taking the long route to class. It's all about the effort we put into what we do, and exercise is no exception. Btw, I tried walking on the treadmill as I read... bad experience. I had a headache of how dizzy I got! Lol. What I like to do to challenge myself is wake up 30 minutes earlier and bike all the way to class... from Tempe! 10+ miles? Fun, different, and definitely a workout.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your post. I think it is really important for everyone to get exercise especially college students. I think that most people get confused with what exercise can be. Walking to classes or walking up stairs however routine is exercise. I like that you pointed that out. One of my favorite things to do is to park in the back of the parking lot rather than drive around looking for a spot near the entrance. I have never tried walking while studying but I have seen people doing it. I even saw one person on a cycling machine, that may be better for someone who gets motion sickness.

      Delete