Monday, January 30, 2012

Breakfast, the MOST Important Meal of the Day.


Did your parents ever tell you that breakfast was the most important meal of the day? It's a proven fact that is!

Eating breakfast kick starts your energy level for the day and increases you metabolic or calorie burning rate. Breakfast can also help aid in reducing the rate of overweight people in America. What you choose to eat for breakfast can make a world of difference with your health. By starting your day out with healthful, slow burning foods like whole grains and fruit you will be able to control your appetite, arrive to class more focused and ready for your day.

 Most college students if they eat breakfast at all consume a pastry or sugar coated cereal with their morning coffee on their way to class or work. Many students also resort to the quick and easy fast food breakfast fix. Weather it maybe a muffin or scone and coffee at Starbucks or breakfast sandwich at McDonalds you are probably spending more money then you would like while still going to class hungry even after you just spent $10 on a meal. As a fifth year student at Arizona State University in Tempe I have noticed these habits among my peers. I would like to show you a few hot spots where a $5.00-$10.00 meal will leave you satisfied and ready to start your day.

For a quick in and out breakfast stop try Romancing the Bean or Einsteins. At Romancing the Bean just off of Rio Salado and Mill Ave. you can grab everything from a coffee or tea to a stuffed ham and cheese croissant, side of fruit, bagel or egg breakfast sandwich ranging from $2.50-$6.00. Einsteins has your everyday bagel with a choice of flavored cream cheese, hummus or pesto ranging from about $1.99- $3.50. You can also get a simple egg and cheese breakfast sandwich on a bagel, yogurt parfait or fruit for $4.00- $7.00.

If your looking for a sit down restaurant give my new favorite place Ncounter a try. Ncounter can be found off of Mill Ave. and 3rd Street, just right off the light rail. Ncounter has your everyday eggs,toast, and potatoes plate, french toast or pancakes with your choice of bananas, blueberries, apples, pecans or strawberries for just $5.50-$7.00. If your more of an omelet type of person my favorite is the Morning Glory which is made with egg whites, tomatoes, red onion, avocado and cilantro with your choice of cottage cheese, fruit, potatoes, tomatoes or toast. There are plenty of other omelets available such as the Cheese, the Veg, the Pear, the Hot Juan if you like a little heat along with the Loaded for all of the meat lovers out there. All omelets with your choice of a side are $8.00.  Ncounter has a range of breakfast sandwiches but you can get a simple ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich with a side salad for $6.00. Other breakfast items on Ncounter's menu are oatmeal, yogurt-n-granola fruit plate, eggs benedict, coffee drinks and smoothies you can grab on the go. Everything on the menu is under $8.50 and has never left me feeling robbed of my money or hungry.

Weather you take the time to make breakfast at home, stop in at a local breakfast restaurant or grab something on the go remember that one meal every morning can make a big difference for your health.

Corrie Turnbull


3 comments:

  1. I preach breakfast to people all the time. I explain it as putting gas in the car in the morning so the car can run, and the better quality gas you put in the car, the more efficiently it runs. For me (because every body/metabolism is different) I can pretty much eat whatever I want for breakfast and maintain my weight, as long as I don't overindulge too often. It's recommended 1/3 of our daily calories should be consumed at breakfast (again, fuel, fuel, fuel), and by adhearing to that guideline I've maintained my ideal weight for a long time. You are right as well that if you ask most overweight people if they eat breakfast they say no, and the opposite holds true for thin people. One would think the overweight people would realize what they're doing isn't working and perhaps is time to try what someone else is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always told when I was younger the importance of consuming a well-balanced meal for breakfast. However, there was a time in my life, I believe during high school, that on occasion I did not have time to eat breakfast in the morning due to a busy schedule. On the days that I did not consume breakfast, I found myself experiencing fatigue, light-headedness, dizziness, and the inability to focus. Since then, I always eat breakfast in the morning even if I have to wake up earlier or schedule it into my morning routine. I thought it was creative of you to provide quick in and out breakfast places, as well as restaurants that provide healthy, nutritious options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written blog post with an important message! It has been a known fact that a healthy breakfast is essential to our health. We've all heard it since a young age from parents and teachers, read it in magazines, seen it on ads and on tv, yet we still ignore and frequently skip this crucial meal. With the title and introduction that you had however, it was a little surprising (to me) when you took a turn and started promoting food options at local restaurants. I know you had good intentions in mind for busy on-the-go college students when writing the post, although I realized that the breakfast options you recommended were not particularly healthy ones (besides the fresh fruits, eggs, and cottage cheese). I've been to all three restaurants that were mentioned. Speaking from personal experience, they all served tasty dishes, though portion sizes were almost always more than enough for one, dishes included something "fried" (i.e. eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage) and was therefore greasy, salads were doused with dressing and came with lots of cheese etc. If I were to recommend buying the aforementioned "breakfast foods", I would do so with caution and advise readers to take note of portion sizes. I understand that your intent was to help college students save money and time, but remember that homemade breakfast is also a cheap and healthy alternative! It would have been nice to see you include some homemade breakfast recipes in the post. Still, good message nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete